Sunday, November 6, 2011

Small Revelations

Last night TJ and I were having an important conversation when an earthquake interrupted us.  The conversation was the typical mom conversation about not having enough time in the day and never getting anything done and the treadmill analogy over again.  He asked me what I thought needed to change and I told him that I thought it had a lot to do with not being rooted in Christ daily.  I just feel like I don't have an extra minute to sit down, much less crack open my Bible, turn on worship music and soak. 
After the earthquake we went to bed, but I was still thinking about our conversation.  I grabbed my phone and opened the Bible app on it.  This was the verse I had stopped reading at last time. Matthew 13.  The parable of the sower: 
20The seed falling on rocky ground refers to someone who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. 21 But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. 
I could immediately relate the the seed on rocky ground.  I am not deeply rooted right now and I was getting all worked up when trouble came my way.
This morning we went to church and God spoke to me again.  The passage this time- Mary and Martha.
38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
   41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[f] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”
God is definitely telling me to stop and choose the most important.  Maybe my house won't get vacuumed.  Maybe my desk at school will always be a heaping pile of junk.  Or maybe if I choose first the kingdom of Heaven all things will be added unto me. 


Maybe the treadmill won't stop because I haven't reached out and tried to turn it off. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I know you're thinking "Me, leave a comment?" And the answer is "Yes." It's always yes.