Friday, March 12, 2010

Its Magic, Gosh Dangit!

Today was the 2nd Annual Teddy Bear Picnic in my classroom.  Honestly, one of my favorite days of the year.  When the students are gone I move their bears around so they think they come alive.  Last year my students loved it.  The wanted to listen to the song every chance they got.  They sang along with the book each time.  Every last one of them believed whole heartedly that the bears came alive magically while we were gone, picked books off the shelves, and started reading them.  This year I turned on the CD and one students yelled "Not again!"  Needless to say, there were alot of skeptics.  They tried to finagle (yes, that's how you spell it, I looked it up) the answer out of me and the two classroom assistants all day. The more they poked and prodded for answers the more my web of fibs tangled around itself.  I just wanted them to believe in the magic of childhood.  IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK? 
I really have to remember my class from year to year is like having children.  Each child is so completely different its almost unbelievable.  If you saw my 5 siblings and I separately, you'd never believe we were related we're so completely different.   Its the same way with my classes.  Each year I get a new class, a new little baby.  And throughout the year I learn what they like, what they don't like, their strengths and weaknesses and learn as I go how to foster their abilities the best I can.  This year they are creative- so creative.  Little artists that I know someday will actually create comic books you'll buy for your grandkids at Toys-R-Us.  They're rock aficionados.  They know more 70s and 80s rock songs than I do.  They love dark things- haunted houses, vampires, swords, and the all wonderful Abiyoyo! 
So while last years students may have loved bears and sparkly things and I miss that, I'm learning to love the students who will sing ACDC with me and want to listen to the song about a monster who had "slobbery teeth cuz he didn't brush "em."

1 comment:

I know you're thinking "Me, leave a comment?" And the answer is "Yes." It's always yes.