Saturday, July 20, 2013

My Other Guy


So, if you know any firefighter's wives, you know that at night it can get lonely.  You get the little ones in bed and you're just there. No one to talk to.  To hash out the day. So you decide to just go to bed. Then it gets REALLY lonely.  Sometimes downright scary.  You hear every noise in the house, outside the house, and three doors down from the house.  It's a double-edged sword too, because the more scared you are, the longer you're awake.  The longer you're awake, the more you think you hear.  And I can tell you if you're thinking of coming for me, DON'T.  I can get my gun cocked and ready in 10 seconds flat and I will take you down to China town. There's no shame in this game.

But lately, I've been filling my lonely time with another man. Chris Stapleton.  Chris- glory to God, holy sweet Jesus- Stapleton.  In the words of one of my friends, "He might not sing songs about Jesus, but I sure know He loves me today!"  And I'm telling you, I'm NOT in love with the man.  I just LOOOOOOVE his voice with a million Os.

Here's a little glimpse into my brain- if you sing and just putter along through the songs- you're dead to me. With one exception- George Strait.  It works for him.  (And just so you know, Kacey Musgraves, I'm letting you slide because it's your first big CD, but don't let me down.  I like you, but I need to hear some hurt in that voice, girl.) By golly, if you're going to sing, lay it out there.  All out there.  I want to see you tear up, sweat, and leave your heart out there.  And boy, does Chris Stapleton lay it all out there. His voice just has a certain umph, argh, and rumble to it.  And I want to see him live desperately. (PLEASE COME TO OK!!!!!  My back yard is big! Ha!) And can I just say this too- I LOVE when writer's start singing their stuff and just KILL it. Plus, his wife sings backup for him.  I'm in triple love with this musician.

He just released one song this month and the first time I heard it, I put it on Facebook,  Youtubed almost every video of him (also Jompson Brothers and the Steeldrivers), and downloaded the song immediately.  I might be obsessed.

Please, PLEASE, love him too.

Chris Stapleton- What Are You Listening To?

Chris Stapleton- The Right Ones


No comments:

Post a Comment

I know you're thinking "Me, leave a comment?" And the answer is "Yes." It's always yes.