1. Being hard workers. We require it from everyone. And get REALLY frustrated when people around us don't share that belief We have a saying- "Work isn't called fun for a reason. It's called work. If you have fun the process, you're lucky. But it's not a requirement." We love our jobs, don't get me wrong, but they're hard work.
2. Being on time/annoyingly early. TJ's saying- "I will not go if I'm going to be late." And he's not joking. We've been known to get places 30 minutes early just to drive around for 25 minutes. It's frustrating, but not as frustrating as leaving late and hearing TJ be upset the whole way there.
3. Being nerdy. We are nerds. We are rule followers. We don't care anymore what people think about it.
4. Having incredibly disorganized cabinets. Seriously, y'all. If you ever come over, take a peak inside ANY of my kitchen cabinets. If you're still my friend after that, it was meant to be. If you're OCD and still want to be my friend, don't look. JUST DON'T.
5. Being short with each other. It is one of the worst traits we have. We are almost always snappy, short, or snarky with each other. It would be fine if it was still just me and TJ, but we have two kids that are learning some unkind behaviors from us. Last week, my mom told me, "Now, I love Faith, but if she calls me a nitwit one more time, we're going to have a problem." We tend not think before we speak and it's rearing it's ugly head in the form of our beautiful daughter. So we talked and decided we were going to really work hard together to be better examples of kind words for Faith and Silas. We talked with Faith about it last night at bedtime. I told her we were all going to be so nice to each other, it was going to be like a game of outdoing each other with kindness. Today she kept trying to tell me something unkind and so I told her she could either be kind or go to her room. She walked out of our room to her room and I thought, "Wow. That was easy." Hahahahahaha. It's. NEVER. THAT. easy. She came back with this:
She knew she couldn't SAY anything unkind so she just wrote it. And when I asked her what she was talking about she said, "No. I don't want to play that kindness game you're doing."
So old habits are dying hard around here. For her and for me. I've had to either stop myself or ask for forgiveness several times today. I've found some Pinterest printable Bible verses I'm hanging on my quote board. I read them everyday while I'm doing my hair for work. Now if only Faith could read...
|no longer available at CElizabethStudio on etsy|
|couldn't find a working link|